Frequently asked questions
Need answers? Take a look at our FAQs.
What’s included within a standard installation?
- The supply and installation of your new charging unit onto a brick or plastered wall, or to another suitable permanent structure.
- Up to 15 metres of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter / distribution board and the charging unit.
- Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a standard brick wall up to 500mm thick, if this is needed.
- The fitting and testing and certification of electrical connections and protections required for the charging unit.
- An additional three-way consumer unit, if required.
- Installation of a Type C MCB and a Type A RCD in an RCBO enclosure.
- All associated fixings and materials.
Please note that additional cable is charged at £6 per metre up to 30 metres and £10 per metre in excess of 30 metres. It is incredibly important that you provide us with an accurate measure, otherwise your engineer may arrive with not enough cable which will mean an abortive visit.
How long will my installation take?
This can vary but typically between 2-4 hours and all depends upon your requirements.
Will you need to get under my carpet and floor boards?
How will be my install be left?
We will leave you with a fully operational and commissioned charging unit and the paperwork to support it. Your engineer will take all surplus material away with them and will leave your property in a clean and tidy state.
Where can I put my charger?
Your preferred location can be discussed with your engineer on the day who will advise on the best place to put the charger. This must be off road on a driveway. We can provide wall mount or post mounted chargers. Please be aware that post mounted chargers require ground works at additional cost.
What happens after I’ve booked my installation date?
Once you’ve booked your preferred installation date, The Car Charge People will be in touch to confirm a few details about your electrical installation and the intended location of your charging unit. It’s important to give as much detail as possible at this time to ensure that your installation is compliant and ready to have a charger installed. This will usually mean sending a picture of your electrical consumer unit/fuse box with the lid open and pictures of your gas and water at the stop tap to ensure your earthing/bonding is sufficient.
Are you covid safe?
All of our engineers are covid safe and will have the relevant PPE to carry out the job and will social distance accordingly. If anyone living at the property has any symptoms or has tested positive please let us know before we arrive.
What’s included in my fixed price?
Your fixed price includes a wall mounted installation and includes all associated materials. For example, steel wire armoured cable, type A RCD, MCB to make the installation compliant with BS7671 wiring regulations. All of The Car Charge People prices do not allow for non standard construction work like digging up of a driveway to route the cable underground and/or post mounted installations. This can be arranged, so please get in touch with us to discuss details and we will arrange a price specific to your needs.